Washington D.C. Part 2

Hello everybody I’m back Hello Hello.

I’m giving you part 2 of D.C. part of our cross country road trip (to start from the beginning go here)


Dewdrops and Butterflies Snippet

“Thirteen year old Rose Wells was determined to make it on her own. Running from authority one last time, the forest became her home, the cafe her source of food, and the fear driven determination keeping her there as long as she could help it.
Not everybody was ok with that. Alex and Jenni Johnson do whatever they can to find their foster daughter and bring her home, giving her the genuine love she’d never know. 
Over the course of a single summer, hearts are broken, scars exposed, friendships blossom, and ultimately a greater truth is learned. 
A greater God is understood.”
(add to your Goodreads TBR from here. The cover reveal is SOOOOONNNNNN)

Back to your regularly scheduled program! If you need a refresh of where we left off you can scroll through this post really quick and follow the link back. 😀

After finishing the National Museum of Natural History we gazed at the Capitol building on one end of the huge field and the Washington Monument on the other end. This place is so HUGE.

After walking a very, very, hot, hot, humid, awful mile across a shaded walkway we made it from the Museum to the edge of the Rainbow Pool WWII memorial and took an unplanned nap to narrowly avoid a breakdown. The boys needed it and I sure needed it too.

After we woke up we explored the memorial and found that dipping feet was allowed in the fountain. We took very much advantage of it to make it through the day. Wadding was NOT allowed, but we drenched out capris and it was much more bearable.

And from the Rainbow pool, we walked to the Lincoln Memorial which was so relaxing. The sun had set by the time we got there and the marble building gave off a cool air. We sat on the large decorative steps and overlooked the entire museum mall and grass and people and took in Washington D.C. as a whole. It had been a hard day and sitting down felt so incredibly good.

After walking around D.C. we got an Uber and crossed the border to West Virginia. At this point of the trip we were so homesick for some good home cooked food, and since we’re Russian, a good russian restaurant was our agend.

We found it and ordered basically the whole menu.

It was the boy’s first experience with professional russian food and they were pretty curious.

We ordered Kvas and Campot. Pictured is the Kvas, which is a sort of carbonated drink made by fermenting bread for a couple of days. It’s yeasty and sweet.

I didn’t take pictures of everything we ordered because that would make a post in itself, but this is called a samsa and is filled with ground beef and lots of seasoning wrapped in a flaky dough.

We also got Pilmeni which is sort of like a dumpling.

We usually don’t get dessert when at a restaurant, but reasoning seems to fly out the window when you’re homesick. We got two different kinds of cakes and both were amazing.

We went back to our hotel and watched some tv and cooled down and slept and got ready to do it all over again the next day.

Well the next day was quite hectic and insane and we saw the White House.

Virgil decided that it was too small. I don’t know what Alan was doing.

Capitol building was way too hard to get into but it was one of the most magnificent buildings we saw (the security people were super rude too). Also the Library of Congress was a pretty building!

The Air and Space museum was our next and last D.C. destination. It was almost closing time by the time we got in and we had dinner there but we did get to see a couple of really cool things. This photo, for example, is the group the boys were named after. If you look closely you can see “From left to right (front row) Walter, Donald, John, Scott. (Back row) Alan, Virgil, and Gordon.”

Squid size module

Gordon and his astronaut.

Virgil and the tragic story of his astronaut.

John and his astronaut.

Some displays of how light works and reflection refraction etc.

Tadaaa. Miniature Hubble Space Telescope.

That was our D.C. trip. By the time we finished with this museum we were so pooped that we didn’t even look for anything else to do. We took another uber back to our hotel even though it was only about 4 during the day.

We needed that time because the next day we were heading to Nashville and on the way we stopped in Philly, Pennsylvania.

Thing is, I took a break from editing this week, but next week I’m gonna be hunched over working through hundreds of beta comments. And I’m going to be working really hard. That being said, I’m simply apologizing in advanced if next week’s post is late. Let me know if these road trip posts are boring now XD. I can cut them back shorter. We’re already on out way back home though.

Live, love, and laugh, girls!

5 thoughts on “Washington D.C. Part 2”

  1. Angie says:

    Ahhh! It’s getting so close!!! I can’t wait! 😀

    Also, Russian! That’s extremely cool! And awwww–the boys with their namesakes!!! <3<3

  2. Marissa says:

    The book sounds AMAZING!

    I love these road trip posts, so you can keep them coming. Btw I noticed that at the top (in the pic thing) you spelt road as roar.

    1. Libby May says:

      Oh my I’ll have to fix that thank you

  3. Eliza Noel says:

    Your squids are adorable!

    1. Libby May says:

      Aww thanks!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: